Last Updated on April 23, 2015 by Malik Waqas
UK Scholarships For South African Students
The Rhodes Trust in partnership with University of Oxford is proudly presenting Rhodes Scholarships for Southern African students. The Rhodes Trust is a prestigious charity institute that provides 83 scholarships to international students each year. It offers awards in all disciplines that the University of Oxford provides.
Purpose of study
Level of Study:
- Post graduate
Number of Scholarships:
Fields of Study:
All subjects offered by Oxford University
University of Oxford, UK
South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia & Swaziland
- The students who belong to South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi and Namibia would be eligible for this scholarship.
- No nomination will be made by the selection committee if it has the judgment that the candidates are not adequately qualified for this scholarship.
- The candidates are required to provide their assurance to offer services for the betterment and development of Africa in general and in particular for Southern Africa after completing their studies at Oxford.
- The Rhodes Trust in partnership with Oxford University offer the scholarship awards to students of Africa without taking into consideration their marital status, ethnic origin, race, color, religion, social background, sex and gender, disability, sexual orientation, caste and any other extraneous difference.
- Generally, the applicants who come from universities of South Africa must have proved their excellent performance in academic discipline.
- The applicants will have to achieve their first class degree or good upper second class degree.
- The candidates are required to prove that they lived permanently in South Africa for about five years out of ten years instantly preceding their application forms in South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia or Swaziland.
- The age limit is extendable to three years in case of medical students or medical doctors. The purpose is:
- To circumvent the postponement of taking up the award of scholarship for the successful medical school candidates.
- The qualified candidates will have to complete the medical internships before starting their studies at Oxford for getting Scholarship prior the completion of post-internship medical rights.
You should also apply for:
- The Rhodes scholarship offers financial aid for College and University fees
- The students will be provided with Stipend for their living costs for about two- three years at the University of Oxford.
- The grants for students also includes travel to Oxford at the beginning and also from Oxford to their homelands at the conclusion of scholarship program
- Scholarship gives private health insurance as well.
How to Apply For Scholarship:
- Generally the students are advised to apply online at official website of scholarship: (starts from June).
- The applicants are requested to apply only one country and apply for only one region in South Africa.
- If the applicants come from any of those schools that Rhodes has nominated that are four in number, and if from their partner schools, then the applicants might additionally apply to South Africa-at-Large (that includes KZN) or BLMNS.
- If the applicants wish to apply to nominated school and South Africa-at-Large both or regional selection committee BLMNS, they ought to submit their application forms to these two committees.
- The Rhodes Trustees will make the final decision for selection of the students; the Trustees depend upon the selection procedures of selection committees in the entire constituency.
Last Date to Apply:
Applications for the Rhodes Scholarships for 2015 for Southern Africa are now closed.
Visit Official Scholarships Website.