Last Updated on March 20, 2015 by Malik Waqas
The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) was initiated in 1959; the first scholars were selected in 1960. In September 1958 Sidney Smith, who is a former President of the University of Toronto and Canadian Minister of External Affairs, had suggested the Plan in a powerful speech. Its aim is to raise educational links among the Commonwealth countries and to make the ideals stronger upon which the Commonwealth was established. More than 27,000 Commonwealth citizens have arranged awards – A lot of them are going on to reach the peak of their careers.
Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships for UK citizens
Universities in commonwealth countries
Scholarship Honors to:
The Citizens of the UK
Scholarship Funded by:
UK/Canada & Commonwealth countries
Masters & PhD degrees
15May/15 Nov (annual)
Number of Scholarships:
About Commonwealth Scholarship Program
The chief providers to the Plan are Canada and the United Kingdom (UK), and along with them 20 other member countries have offered scholarship awards for more than 50-year lifetime.
The purpose of CSFP is to enable the students of Commonwealth countries to make a major contribution to their home countries after the attaining a higher education degree in the UK or other Commonwealth country.
Under the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP), the scholarships and the fellowships are provided to the citizens of the UK to get their degrees in other Commonwealth countries. The countries include:
- Singapore – Commonwealth Scholarships for PhD study
Other Commonwealth countries that will offer this award to UK citizens:
- India – Commonwealth Scholarships for PhD studies (December 2013)
- New Zealand – Commonwealth Scholarships for PhD study (March 2014)
Offered Study Fields:
- Engineering and Technology
- Science (Pure and Applied)
- Humanities and Social Sciences
You can also apply in following International Scholarships:
Who Can Apply?
The citizens of UK only
The scholarship award provides:
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly allowance
- International traveling allowance
- Maintenance allowance
- Postgraduate research allowance
- Allowance for Computer and books
The applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The award is offered to UK citizens only
- The applicants must have Bachelor’s/Master’s degree with 65% marks in relevant subject
- Age: The applicants should not have crossed the age of 40 years as on 31.05.2014.
University Grants Commission (UGC) does the initial selection process of candidates for Academic Staff Fellowships in a respective commonwealth country. However, the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) London finally selects the candidates through the nominations sent by the UGC.
For detailed information, the applicants are advised to visit official website of scholarship given below.
The interviews are normally held in Nov, Dec for academic year starting in Aug-Sept.
The official links for Commonwealth scholarship & fellowship award is:
- CSFP website
- Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme
- Scholarships and fellowships in other Commonwealth countries